The Clermont made her first voyage from New York to Albany, August 7th, 1807.
Her speed was about five miles an hour. During the winter of 1807-8 she was enlarged, her name being then changed to North River.
She continued to ply successfully on the Hudson as a passenger boat for a number of years,
her owners having acquired the exclusive right to navigate the waters of the State of New York by steam.